Friday, February 26, 2010

A clean kitchen is a sign of a clean mind

... and a dirty kitchen is a sign of a broken dishwasher?

Well, that's the state of the kitchen in my house right now. Our dishwasher is currently broken down and dishes are piling up on the counter top. The good news is, it happened very shortly before our warranty ran out. The bad news is, it's been broken for a few days and will be for a few more before the repairman arrives.

As the dishes pile up on the counter tops, it's got me realizing how much of a difference it makes to my eating habits when the kitchen is at least moderately clean. The desire to cut up produce and make something to eat isn't as high when one has to clear off space on the counter first. That desire is even harder to muster up when you have to clean dishes in order to do so.

When the kitchen is clean, not only is it easier to work in, but it's more pleasant. You can pull out a cutting board and put a pot on the stove. My kitchen is bright with lots of windows and shiny (fingerprinted) stainless steel appliances that are nice to use and less then a year old. Too bad one of them is broken...

Now, don't get me wrong, I know very well it's possible to wash dishes by hand. In fact, I have done some and intend to do more, but I won't deny how much I've come to rely on my modern appliances. It is so much easier when all you have to do is pop your dishes in the dishwasher in order to get them clean.

Looks like today will be the day of the dishes. Then perhaps we'll use disposable dishes until the dishwasher is fixed on Monday...

(Just kidding, as tempting as it is to use paper plates, I couldn't actually bring myself to do it. Besides my town has a strict limit on how much garbage we can put out each week.)

No comments:

Post a Comment