Thursday, April 15, 2010

Riding my bike, pulling their chariot

When I was a kid, I didn't have any great passion for bike riding. Sure, I did it. Every kid does at some point, right? But I didn't love it, and quite frankly, I wasn't especially athletic.

That was back in the days before most people wore helmets. When I was about 11, my parents told me that I couldn't ride a bike anymore unless I wore a helmet. None of my friends wore helmets and I was an insecure preteen who wasn't willing to be the one kid that wore a helmet. So, I stopped riding my bike.

Years later, as a young adult, I started rollerblading, and I bought a helmet the same day I bought the roller blades. When I decided to ride a bike again in my early 20s, I wore that helmet without a thought. I didn't really love riding it though. It was transportation at times, a casual hobby at others.

Until now.

Last summer, my husband and I invested in a Chariot. We had just moved into a town with a stunning pathway system and we live across the street to an access point for it. The initial investment was because I was finding my current double stroller very difficult to push on the walks by the river, but we spent the money to get the bike attachments as well as the strolling and jogging attachments
.
Now, my children are a little older, and they aren't keen on sitting for a walk, but are happy to go for a fast (as fast as I go, anyways) bike ride. And, I'm loving it. When I slow down, or walk the bike up a hill, my daughter sometimes cries and my son tells me to "ride bike MOMMY!" We all have fun with the fresh air and beautiful views. As a side benefit, I even get a cardio workout in during the day.

Here's a couple pictures from our bike ride today.
Both of these are taken within a 2 minute bike ride, or 5 minute walk from our house. I love living where I do!

Not the best picture of my slave drivers, but as you can see, they are both wearing their helmets. :)

2 comments:

  1. Your slavedrivers are adorable, and the chariot is a great concept. Too bad my son is 6'2" and weighs 195.... It happens really fast, so tow them while you can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bet taking two children along for the ride is a pretty hearty workout too! Much more than pushing them in a stroller.

    What a beautiful setting your have for your rides too.

    ReplyDelete