Thursday, July 1, 2010

What to carry while running

First off, the good news: I'm running again! Two days ago, I got up at sunrise (about 5:15 am) to run. Today is a holiday, so I slept in until almost 7:00 before heading out.

Now, I'll admit that today ended up being a mediocre run. The main reason was that I did not have my inhaler with me. As a quick disclaimer, I only have mild asthma. Not having my inhaler was cause for a little discomfort, but never a health or safety risk. Having said that, I was wheezy, not just short on breath, so it was a bit unpleasant.

The thing is, I don't have anywhere to carry things. It's warm enough that I'm not wearing a jacket, and I have no pockets in my clothes. Now, what I really want is one of these (in surf blue):

photo source

I'm not getting it yet though since I don't fit the size I want to use long term.

Having said that, there are definitely some essentials to carry while running. For me, the top three are:

1. Identification
2. Keys
3. Inhaler (or any other medical necessities)

Identification is a really big one. Sadly, there have been accidents involving runners and emergency workers can't identify them. You should always have some form of identification on you.

Other things that some runners may need include:

1. Water (the only reason this isn't on my essential list right now is that my runs are only 25 minutes long.)
2. Fuel (food of some type, or energy gels, whatever works for you. It, of course, will depend on how long your run is.
3. Ipod (I'll admit, I considered putting this on the essential list.)
4. Cell phone (I'm not in love with carrying it, but I know some people like to.)
5. Dog spray (something I've considered and decided against, but probably depends where you run.)

I haven't decided how to carry my essentials yet, but I'll figure it out.

What do you carry while running, and what do you use to carry it?

3 comments:

  1. I only bring my keys and ipod (I have one of those things you fast around your arm for them). I'd love to bring water but I think it would annoy me - both the sound and weight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ALWAYS have on me my cell phone, ID&healthcare card, keys, and ipod touch. I have an arm band for the ipod touch and an arm/ankle band for the rest (I got it when the hubby was still active duty from the bx). If I go out for longer than 8 miles or am riding my bike I take water/powerade zero and a snack (fiber one bar type thing).

    I've started jogging during my walks. I have allergy environmental issues that help make breathing hard on days when the mold, etc is high. On those days (like today) I just watch my breathing and the time between jogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a runner, but I admire all of you and I do encourage you to take your ID with you. So important.

    When I'm running around doing errands and I don't want to lug my purse, I always tuck my driver's license into my pocket, just in case. Does that count?

    ReplyDelete