Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Struggling

It's easy to write posts when I'm feeling strong, or I've just nailed that workout, or I'm doing well. What's hard is to come out and say that I'm having a hard time.

That's the case right now. Ever since getting back from my fabulous anniversary backpacking trip, my eating has gone to hell. I'm still nailing the workouts - fortunately that's become largely ingrained.

But the last week, my eating has sucked. I haven't tracked. I've been grabbing the "extras" when I grocery shop and I've been eating too much.

Amazingly, my weight has been remaining fairly steady. However, I can't count on that continuing, and even if it does, one fact remains. I am NOT happy with my current weight. In some ways, I don't even care that I can run 25 minutes, or swim front crawl. I want to like the way I look. And right now I don't.

There's two things to consider when trying to dig yourself out of a hole. First: why did you fall into it? Second: What are you going to do about it?

Why did I fall into it? I haven't quite figured it out, though I have some ideas. After the high of my vacation, it was back to the real world. While in the mountains, there was no commitments, no time line. We chilled and did what we wanted. Which was to hike.

And I ate. While backpacking, the foods we ate were rich and calorie dense - exactly what is needed when expending thousands of calories a day. Trail mix with peanuts and m&ms, beef jerky, granola bars... All the kinds of foods that you should eat when you are expending huge amounts of energy, and not many other times. Coming back to real life, I'm back to my 45ish minutes of cardio a day and therefore not needing this food.

Understanding why I fell into it is of importance in avoiding it in the future, but the more important question is how to get out of it?

Well, to be honest, I'm already digging myself out. I wasn't lying when I said I find it really hard to write when I'm not feeling strong. Part of what is letting me write this post is the fact that I'm on the way up. The last two days, all my food has been recorded. I'm back into my calorie range and I'm avoiding my trigger foods.

There's something to be said for a slogan of a bit athletic wear company. Just do it. Sometimes, that's what you have to do. Just do it. Make the decision and follow through on it.

Next time, I'm starting to struggle, I'm going to try to post right away, and then I need all of you to tell me to get in gear and straighten up, okay?

Yesterday, I went shopping after my swim and instead of buying a chocolate bar, I bought a tomatillo. Anyone know what to do with a tomatillo? Should I eat it the same way I eat tomatoes? With a salad? On it's own?

8 comments:

  1. Please do lean on us when you need to. I've definitely found inspiration and guidance through you!

    I have no idea what to do with a tomatillo. Maybe in a salad?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tomatillo = salsa verde. Yummy!

    What do you eat when you need a snack? I'm eating lots of blueberries and almonds right now, sometimes together.
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand your struggles AND not posting when we're struggling. When I'm up I feel great and want to shout it to the world. When I'm "not on track" I"m at a loss for words and question my own sincerity for my journey.

    I have NO idea what a tomatillo is. what's it taste like?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post really hits home for me today. Sometimes we just have to do it..you're so right. These times are the times when it's most important to keep moving forward. It's good to hear that you're back in the groove. I'm struggling to stay in mine right now too so I'm going to remind myself to just do it today. Thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always struggle a bit after I've hiked. For me, it's the extra carbs and sugar I consume that is out of the ordinary in my normal eating plan. When hiking, you need that, but once i get the taste in my mouth, I can't just return to normal eating without some backlash. Hopefully, in a day or two your struggle will subside.

    ReplyDelete
  6. At least your noticing this and getting on top of it. Way to go!
    ~Margene

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for you, reining yourself in!That is hard, but you did it. Just like the athletic wear company told you. Just like all of the athletic milestones you've achieved. You are a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I understand how you feel! I find when I allow myself to indulge, I just start craving those things.
    When I have been eating properly, I don't crave the junk.

    It's such a vicious circle.

    ReplyDelete