Friday, September 17, 2010

Tracking only works when you do it

So, my very first goal for September was to track all my food. I've done that. Every evening, I've been sitting down at the computer, trying to remember everything I ate that day and inputting it into the computer.

Yeah...

Anyone else see something wrong with this picture?

The thing is, tracking food works for me to lose weight. It makes me aware of what I'm eating. It keeps me honest about how many calories something has. If I'm getting more calories then I should, it helps me remember to choose the apple rather then the toast with peanut butter.

This only works if I do it as I go.

Yesterday, I mentioned the fact that my weight had stayed stable for another week. Some of you congratulated me on not gaining - particularly during a race week. Don't get me wrong: I can still celebrate the successes of my race, but that doesn't give me an excuse to ignore the rest. It was only a 5K race. I don't say that to minimize it; simply to keep it in perspective. It was the same amount of running I do three times a week normally. Not an excuse to indulge.

I am really good at maintaining my weight. I look forward to the day when that will be my goal.

That day has not come yet.

I get annoyed when I hear people whining about what they need to do but not doing it. I'm not stupid. I know how this works. I also know that I am not in a real plateau. I simply have not been following through on what I say I'll do, and that's not acceptable.

Having said that, I have started again. The last 2 days, I've been religiously inputting my food into the computer at the first available opportunity. It means I've only been having one snack between meals, which is exactly as it should be. It means I'm not having a random bite of food here and there.

I am still obese. Now is not the time to maintain my weight. Now is the time to get it moving down.

8 comments:

  1. Good job for calling yourself out on what you need to do to lose weight. We can use all the excuses and justifications in the world but it won't get us anywhere if we don't do what we need to do.

    I agree- you need to record right after you eat. When I was doing this it wasn't a problem because I sit at a computer all day. Maybe for you having a small notebook will be helpful to write stuff down, and then you can transcribe it to your computer in the evening without having to rack your brain as to what you ate?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would it be helpful to have a little notebook with you and record as you go? Then later, you can input it all into the computer. That's what I used to do that worked for me.

    I like how you are on top of things and constantly working to do better. Good for you! ;) You are doing great!

    ~Margene

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to come read this post when I saw the title on the sidebar of my blog. You are SO right. I tend to do the same thing as you -- track when I have the time, and try to remember what I've eaten that day. Not so good!!

    I find tracking diligently to be really hard. Could you meal plan a bit, like maybe only dinners, so that you are tracking all at once for a few days?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tracking is key for me, too. I also track on my computer, but when I'm out and about sometimes I can't get there right away - so I write down what I've eaten in a notebook or on my blackberry. I don't know if I'm crazy or something, but I can't remember what I've eaten three hours prior if I don't write it down immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to track and I found that it took a lot of time to do. (But it definitely DOES work) If you feel confident that you know, off the top of your head, how many calories are in most foods, it may help to just set yourself a goal for every meal and snack. For example, if you are aiming for 300 calories for breakfast, 150 for a morning snack, 400 for lunch, etc., then you can just quickly add things up in your head before you eat them, make sure they're in your range for that meal/snack, and then move on with your day.

    Different things work for different people - just do whatever works best for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pep talk, Deb. You were giving it to yourself, but it motivated me as well. I've got more to lose and I'm tired of messing around with it. Just do it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're right - great post! Tracking as you eat is the only way to seriously keep track. I am always more successful when I track and that's what I did this past week. Feels good to be successful!
    Congrats on your losses!
    D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your title pretty much sums it up.

    Don't get me whining over how I know it works, buttttttttt...... I can be very annoying.

    You've done so amazingly well toward your fitness goals. I know you can do this, if you focus.

    You can. Yes, you can! GO!

    ReplyDelete