Monday, July 25, 2011

Swimmy swim swim

I headed to the pool for a swim tonight. It took a bit longer to get into the rhythm, but once I got it, I was feeling good. I did a lot of drills. I find they remind me of all the things that I'm supposed to work on. Some nights I only do a couple drills repeatedly. Tonight, I did the gamut.

I miss the coached swim sessions. I am a exponentially better swimmer then I was a year ago, and I do still get benefits from continuing to train and swim on my own. But, I miss having somebody watch my stroke once a week and make changes here and there. She has an instinct for knowing when I'm ready for the next stroke change, and what order to present them to me. I am loving race season, but when it comes to the swim, I can't wait to see what a couple more seasons of work (and coaching) will do.

Bambi was at the pool tonight, and joined my lane. At first, I was a little unsure how I felt about that, but she had much better lane etiquette this time around. No more waiting for me to get to the wall before she pushes off and swims slowly right in front of me. I am now very pleased I said something to her last time. She may not have taken it well, but perhaps she actually learned something from it, and now she'll annoy far less people.

I almost feel bad about nicknaming her Bambi.

Almost.

If she doesn't try to so hard to keep her hair dry and starts swimming in something other then a string bikini, maybe I'll drop the nickname.

2 comments:

  1. Are we not supposed to swim in a strong bikini? :)

    My pool is closed for 2 weeks, which means no Masters for 2 weeks, I'm bummed. I'm on my own.

    Keep up your great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a swim lesson or swim lessons are exactly what I need to get over my fear of swimming. I know how to swim, I just don't know how to swim well.

    ReplyDelete