Friday, September 14, 2012

I need to get faster

Well, it's quite official.  I need to start doing everything I can to get faster.  Why, you might ask?  Well, it's quite simple.  This guy:

Spud, my favourite little guy
He's now in kindergarten, and is a full head taller then the next tallest in his class.  He puts those long legs to good use.  It's become a thing for us to have a race on the three days of the week I pick him up by myself (the other two days, Sweetpea doesn't have preschool, so she is along.)

When we first started doing these races (last year), I'd usually let him win.  Then, after chatting with somebody about it, I started winning some of the time.  The theory being that he has to learn that he won't always win.

Now, there is a problem developing...

I can still usually win.  Barely.  As in, I am in a full effort sprint when I pull of victories against this five year old kid.  It may only be 50-70 metres most of the time, but he's running it at a sub - 4:00/km (about 6:45/mile) pace.  Did I mention that he's five?

My goal right now is to be able to keep holding my own until he turns six.  Then, I guess we'll see...

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are going to have to start cheating soon :-). Say, "hey, look at that" while pointing and take off running when he looks away :-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. The secret is to make HIM carry the groceries and THEN start the race. As he gets older you tie his shoelaces together.

    Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill almost every time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remember..you are older and wiser..use that to your advantage and cheat when necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm... I see it runs in the family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! And that is just the cutest picture! He looks much older than 5! Maybe that explains is speed... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go long! My daughter can outsprint me, but she can't go a half mile at that speed and hold on. At that age (and even as they get a little older), they don't have the concept of pacing because they have never been challenged enough to go far. My daughter ran her first 5K with me (with some whining about a side stitch about half mile in) at age 7. I know I won't be able to keep up with her a lot longer (and she has those long legs too). But if you are open to a bit of a cheating - don't outright cheat, just pick the distance to be in your favor. :)

    ReplyDelete