Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Optimism and denial only go so far...

I seem to get sick a lot.  A lot.  Sometimes I think my blog is more about me whining about being sick then anything else.  Particularly in the winter months.

So, when I arrived home from my vacation feeling fabulous, motivated, and ready to train my butt off, I decided to ignore the fact that I also knew I had caught a cold.  It wasn't really a surprise.  My husband had it when we left for vacation, my son had it during and my daughter seemed to come down with it on the plane ride home.

I wasn't in complete denial.  I made a choice to put a high priority on sleep and hydration in hopes of getting through it unscathed.  I took it mostly easy, but kept up with my training schedule, determined that I wasn't going to be stopped by a little tickle in my throat.  I didn't even have a runny nose yet, just that lingering feeling that I could get hit with it any time.  When I made the choice to power though, I really was capable of it.  Plus, I always felt better after a workout then before, which I consider a sign that I made the right choice.

Then this morning, it wasn't lurking anymore.  I woke up with a throbbing head, a sore throat, and more then just sniffle.  Boo.

It doesn't mean I have to lose my new found fire or optimism though.  It does mean I might need a little break and a bit of extra rest.  Damn.  I thought that I could beat this thing at the gate, but it seems I'm going to have to fight to get it out of the castle.

1 comment:

  1. You know what? I'm with you. I feel like I've been whining a lot lately too. Ha ha. And it sucks when you're actually feeling all motivated and ready to go. Illness, injury, it all sucks. But everyone understands because we've all been there. Kick that cold and get back out there :o)

    ReplyDelete