Friday, May 31, 2013

Race Goals!

Look at me, two blog posts in one day.

I am racing tomorrow.  A somewhat modified version of what I planned, but racing nonetheless.  I'll be doing the Vulcan Tinman Sprint triathlon, the first triathlon I ever did.  I will only be doing the swim/bike, and then my husband will be doing the run.  (This is cleared with the race director, and it's a pretty casual race.)

Usually, I try to throw up a race day post in the morning, but it's a long drive and the whole family is racing, so I expect it to be a bit hectic as well.

My goals:

1. Risk NOTHING

Usually when I go into a race, I go into race mode where the race is all that matters.  I think that is how I managed to block out any pain from the stress fracture during my last half marathon.  Quite frankly, I can't be trusted to make smart decisions when I'm in the midst of a race.  So, I need to make some of these decisions now.

I want to do this race, but it is not worth causing any delay to my recovery.  That means I stick to the single foot push off in the pool; I don't rush transition (on crutches); I concentrate on a high cadence on the bike rather then pushing high gears.  I can push, but not too the point that it risks anything.

2. Have FUN

This is a fun race, and that's why I'm doing it.  No point in letting anything stress me out.  I'm just going to have a good day.

3. Cheer LOUD

My kids are doing the tinbit race right before mine.  Then, when I get off my bike, I get to cheer my husband on the run.  I've got theatre training.  I may as well put it to good use and project that voice.

3 comments:

  1. This was going to be my very first triathlon ever. Then it got rained out. Really rained out. With thunder and lightning and everything. Looks like you have perfect weather. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for still finding ways to participate even while healing! Can't wait to hear how it went!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you and everyone in your family had a good race!

    ReplyDelete